Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Shiitake Mexican Squash Soup


Ingredients:
4 Mexican Squash
3-4-5 Small potatoes (depending on the size, mine were small and i used 5)
3 med Carrots
3-5 Stalks Celery
1 med white onion
3-5 garlic cloves
1 stick butter salted
1 tbsp salt (I'd say half this, it was a little too much, do to taste)
1 tsp red pepper flake
Black pepper to taste
1 14 Oz can chicken broth
1 14 Oz can beef broth
tbs grape or olive oil
3 tbs dried parsley flake (just cause its sitting around and I am trying to use it up, but i do think it enhanced the flavor)
1/2 Cup Dried Shiitake Ya Shiitake slices from Costco.

In a large to semi large pan, I always like a little room to wiggle, sauté up veggies working from the hardest to the softest. I also like to start with working from the most savory to least. i started with some oil in the pan then added the butter, for lower fat use more oil and less butter. Basically onions, potatoes, garlic, carrots, cellery and lastly the squash. I just slice everything up. Let it sauté in the pan about 20 minutes or untill everything is pretty broken down. Add the broths give it a stir let simmer for a few minutes. With a vertical blender turn it to liquid sludge adding water only if necessary. Let simmer another 10 Minutes and enjoy.

Lastly just cause I had them sitting around. I added some reconstituted dried Shiitake Mushrooms (about 1/2 cup dried let soak in boiled water about 20 minutes or longer) too which added another layer of warmth to the flavor but i don't think is necessary and the next time I'm going to try sans the mushrooms. This soup, like most was so amazing the following day that I had to pump out this post and snap a pic of the final bowl before I sink it to the bottom of my tum!

No comments:

Post a Comment